Broccoli and sausage taste great together.
When my husband first had braces put on he could only eat soft foods. We had a lot of soup those first two weeks. This broccoli and sausage soup made for an extra tasty pairing. It was simple to make and delicious to eat. Best of all it is gluten free, dairy free, braces friendly and baby approved!
Cream of Broccoli and Sausage soup
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means if you buy something through my link, I may get a small share of the sale at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure page for more information.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 cup (150g) diced yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups roughly chopped broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup cashew cream, or raw unsalted cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Sausage of choice, I used 4 links Gilbert’c Craft Sausage “The Froman” flavor
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cook according to package directions. I cook mine in chicken broth with salt and pepper.
(The original Vegan recipe is from The Blender Girl)
- Soup Base: In a large pot, add your olive oil, onion, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes or so. Add cauliflower and sauté for a minute or two. Next you will add your broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and allow your soup to simmer partially covered until cauliflower begins to soften. Around 10 minutes. Sausage: While the Cauliflower is simmering you can begin to cook your sausage according to the package directions. Quinoa: Lastly you can cook your quinoa according to the package directions. Be sure to rinse your quinoa. Even if it says pre-washed. I find that this helps the taste quality.
- Add the broccoli to your soup pot. Completely cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- If your sausage is finished this is a great time to cut it into smaller bite size pieces to add to your soup.
- Remove soup from heat and allow it to cool down a bit. Add your cashews, sausage and quinoa to the soup.
- Pour the soup into your blender in batches and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Place soup back into the soup pot and reheat as needed. Add salt to taste.
This soup is a great dinner option for the entire family. Especially with the cooler weather of fall soon approaching. My 18 month old also enjoyed this soup. She doesn’t normally like broccoli so this soup might be a great way to get the children to eat some more veggies.
This recipe can also be found at Raia’s Recipes Allergy free Thursdays link up party.